A Solutions-focused Approach
We search for new opportunities that will lead to more young people graduating, gaining employment, and beginning down the path towards a career. SEMCA Michigan Works! Highland Park Out of School Specialist, Lisa Byars knows that every challenge is an opportunity and it takes creativity and persistence to bring solutions to light. Congratulations Lisa for being the Youth Solutions Focused Specialist of the Year.
“Lisa is a dedicated youth leader who is always thinking about the needs of others and the big picture, she does an excellent job of staying current on activities and resources that support our JMG youth and their families,” said Suzanne Reid, SEMCA’s Workforce Assistant Manager for Jobs for Michigan’s Graduates (JMG).
Meet Lisa Byars
What inspires you about your job?
- Educating, empowering, and encouraging our youth and young adults with the wisdom and knowledge that was passed down to me as I grew up, continues to inspire me.
Recall a favorite memory about being a specialist.
- My favorite memories are being able to equip our youth with the tools, resources, and confidence they are thirsting for to succeed. When I see a youth go after a dream and accomplish a goal it encourages and motivates me to do the same. They need to be surrounded by positive people to help them along their journey, and I’m grateful to be one of those people.
What is one of the greatest challenges you face in your job?
- Lack of resources, transportation for the youth, mentoring opportunities, and funding are all challenges I face in my job.
What is one of the greatest highlights/joys of your job?
- Watching the young adults discover new things and then apply them to their daily lives.
Why do you think JMG is so important for youth?
- It gives them the confidence to continue on no matter what obstacles they face daily.
Share your hobbies, do you have any pets, what do you like to do in your spare time?
- I enjoy old comedy TV shows and a glass of wine.